Christian Brothers University
Caduceus Newsletter: Spring 2017.10, Week of March 27
Table of Contents:
Events coming up.
1. Events coming up.
· Wednesday, March 29: Pediatric Research Day at Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital will host its ninth annual Pediatric Research Day on Wednesday, March 29 2017, from 8 a.m.to 4 p.m., in the Chesney Auditorium and Faculty Office Building.
Free. Registration closes March 23, 2017 at 5:00 pm
Session One - Auditorium, Faculty Office Building
· Saturday, April 1: The 2017 Western Collegiate Division Meeting of the Tennessee Academy of Sciences will be hosted by Christian Brothers University in Memphis on Saturday April 1, 2017.
This meeting is intended as a forum for undergraduate student research. Undergraduate researchers in ALL areas of science are encouraged to present their work.
· Saturday, April 8: Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (Blacksburg, VA) Open House
· April 18-21: Ms. Debbie Driscoll, J.D., Sr. Admissions Officer for the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing will be in Nashville to meet with prospective students.
Hello Dr. Eisen,
I will be recruiting for the Johns Hopkins School of Nursing in Nashville April 18-21, and wanted to encourage any of your high-achieving students who might be interested in our Master’s Entry into Nursing program to reach out to me. This a Master’s level program for students who have earned a bachelor’s degree in a field other than nursing, who are considering transitioning to a career in nursing. More information about the Master’s Entry into Nursing program can be found on our website: http://nursing.jhu.edu/academics/programs/pre-licensure/masters-entry/
Thank you in advance for helping me to get the message out to your students.
Debbie Driscoll, J.D. |Sr. Admissions Officer
Office of Admissions
Johns Hopkins School of Nursing
#1 Master’s Degree, U.S. News & World Report, 2017
· April 26, 2017: DPT Education Virtual Fair, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. Eastern Time
APTA invites you and your students to register for a free DPT Education Virtual Fair scheduled on April 26, 2017 from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET. This fair will allow users to participate in live chats with Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) programs from across the country. Your students can use the fair to find the best DPT program for them, ask questions from the comfort of a computer, and get tips on how to best prepare for the admissions process. Attendees must register in advance for this free event. Learn more and register. Our partner, CareerEco, is available to respond to questions about the fair at email@example.com.
Libby J. Ross, MA,
Director, Academic Services
· Friday, May 5, 2017. Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (Stratford, N.J.) Open House.
"The door is open… Step inside and explore New Jersey’s only Osteopathic medical school!"
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine, (RowanSOM) will open its' doors for our Annual Open House on May 5th, 2017 from 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Hear from our esteemed faculty, students, and research physicians about the amazing opportunities at New Jersey’s only osteopathic medical school. There will be campus tours, OMM demonstrations, a “Q&A” session with admissions as well as free food. You don't want to miss this opportunity!!!
Register today using this link from our website ------ > http://www.rowan.edu/som/education/admissions/openHouse_form.php
See you there!!!
Ronald M. Braxton II
Assistant Director of Admissions
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
113 East Laurel Road
PO Box 1011
Stratford, NJ 08084
2. Des Moines University (IA) is hosting a series of program preview days during the summer for students interested in physical therapy, physician assistant studies and podiatric medicine.
Greetings from Des Moines University!
We are excited to announce that we will be hosting program preview days throughout the summer months for students interested in physical therapy, physician assistant studies and podiatric medicine. A preview day gives students the opportunity to learn more about the profession, clinical opportunities, research, meet current students, and discover if DMU is a good fit for their professional and educational goals. Participants are given priority consideration in the application/admission process. The event does require a free online application, and applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Fifteen participants will be selected for each event. Information regarding the events can be found below or by visiting our website at https://www.dmu.edu/admission/events/dmu-preview/.
We hope that you will share this information with your students! Thank you!
3. From Medscape.com: State of Cancer Care in US: 'Far From Adequate'
Viewing Medscape.com articles requires registration, but registration is free.
The article states with this:
"The US cancer care system is far from providing adequate healthcare to all of its citizens with cancer," commented Melissa Dillmon, MD, chair-elect of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) State Affiliate Council Executive Subcommittee.
"As physicians and as public servants, it is our responsibility to work towards addressing these disparities," she added.
Dr Dillmon was speaking at the launch of the State of Cancer Care in America: 2017 from ASCO at a press briefing earlier today in Washington, DC. It is the fourth such annual report.
Here’s the link: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/877597
4. The University of Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson) offers a Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences.
Master of Biomedical Sciences:
A stepping stone into careers in health care and biomedical research
The purpose of this email is to let you know that the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC) School of Graduate Studies has a great opportunity for graduating seniors who may not know their exact science career path yet or for those who may have recently learned that they were not accepted into professional school. UMMC offers a 1 year, 30 credit hour MS degree in Biomedical Sciences. Highlights of the program include:
The application deadline is rapidly approaching (June 1st). If you have any students who might be interested please share the attached document outlining the program with them. If a student has questions or would like more information, please contact the program director, V Gregory Chinchar, PhD (601-984-1195 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you for your consideration,
Michael Ryan, Ph.D., Associate Dean
5. Important Changes for the 2018 ADEA AADSAS Application cycle and Important ADEA AADSAS Dates for 2017.
Important Changes for the 2018 ADEA AADSAS Application Cycle:
*Applicants can match their courses to fulfill prerequisite course requirements for a particular school before submitting their application to a dental school.
*Applicants can request transcripts from World Education Services (WES) and Educational Credential Evaluation (ECE) directly within the application, eliminating sending documents by mail.
*Applicants reapplying to 2018 ADEA AADSAS will not be able to carry over their information from the previous cycle. However, moving forward, reapplicants will be able to carry their information from the previous cycle.
Important ADEA AADSAS Dates for 2017 (all times listed are in Eastern Time)
· May 4: Register for the 2018 ADEA AADSAS Application Preview for Advisors from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m.
· May 17: Universal Advisors Portal webinar, from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
· May 21: ADEA AADSAS Prep Day Virtual Fair*, from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m. (ADEA AADSAS staff available to speak with students.)
· June 1: 2018 ADEA AADSAS application opens for applicants, by noon.
· June 15: ADEA GoDental Virtual Fair*, from 2:00 to 8:00 p.m. (Dental school admissions officers available to speak with students.)
*Registration is now open at http://www.adea.org/gdvf17/
6. Maryland University of Integrative Health (Laurel, MD) March 2017 e-newsletter.
Follow this link to update your communication preferences: Contact Preferences
7750 Montpelier Rd, Laurel, MD, 20723, United States
Dr. Stan Eisen,
Memphis, TN 38104
Caduceus Newsletter Archives: http://facstaff.cbu.edu/~seisen/Caduceus.html